Zane Kirkwood, dual Magarey Medallist, Premiership and State Captain, has advised the Club of his retirement following this weekend’s match against Central District.
An ongoing back issue has affected the 30-year old’s fitness. After discussions with coaches, medical staff, and family, he has decided to call time on his 222-game career.
Kirkwood joined Sturt in 2014 after playing 85 games for Port Magpies. Named Vice Captain in his first year, he was Captain from 2015-19.
- 2017 & 2016 League Premierships
- Captain (2019, 2018, 2017, 2016)
- P.T. Morton Medal (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014)
- Runner Up P.T. Morton Medal (2018)
- Magarey Medal (2016, 2014)
- Fos Williams Medal (2018, 2016, 2014)
- Senior State Team (2018, 2016, 2015, 2014)
- Senior State Team Captain (2018, 2016),
- The Advertiser SANFL Team of the Year (2018, 2016-Captain, 2015, 2014, 2013)
- 2009 State Under 18’s Team
Senior Coach Martin Mattner said of Kirkwood,
“There are few players who have achieved what Zane has. He will go down as one of the best players in the history of the competition and certainly one of the greats of Sturt. It has been a pleasure knowing and coaching Zane. We wish him and his family all the very best.”
The Club wishes to thank Zane for the joy he has brought to Sturt Members and supporters over the years.
Click below to watch his best moments.