1967 Premiership

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter
STURT 5.0-30 7.6-48 9.6-60 13.10-88
Port Adelaide 2.5-17 8.9-57 9.14-68 10.17-77

Best Players
B.Adcock, J.Murphy, T.Clarkson, K.Chessell
R.Schoff, R.Rigney, D.Hicks, B.Schwarz
Goal Kickers
M.Jones 3, R.Rigney 2, T.Clarkson 2, P.Bagshaw 2
J.Tilbrook 2, R.Dunn 1, M.Greenslade 1
J.Murphy (Acting) 
Best on Ground
58,849 (Adelaide Oval)

Premiership Team
Forward: G.Weir M.Jones R.Dunn
Half-Forward: J.Tilbrook R.Schoff P.Bagshaw
Centre: D.Hicks B.Shearman T.Clarke
Half-Back: T.Short P.Nelson B.Schwarz
Back: B.Adcock B.Jarrett K.Chessell
Ruck: T.Clarkson J.Murphy R.Rigney
Reserves: M.Greenslade B.Miels

Match Report
TWO IN A ROW When an injury riddled and badly out of form Sturt lost to North Adelaide by 6 points at Prospect to lose the Minor Premiership to the Roosters and finish the season second, things were not looking good going into the finals, however, Jack Oatey had the Blues fired up and ready to play when they clashed again in the Second-Semi Final, the Blues winning by a comfortable 44 points and going into their third successive Grand Final. Port Adelaide narrowly defeated North Adelaide in the Preliminary Final to set up yet another Grand Final against their conquerors the year before, Sturt. In an entertaining first quarter, Sturt repelled many Magpie attacks early to restrict them to 2.5 for the quarter, whilst adding 5 goals straight themselves, at quarter time it was the Blues by 13 points. Port Adelaide came out in the second quarter and dominated the Blues, kicking 6.4 for the quarter to 2.6 and went into half time with a slight 9 point lead, the Magpies continued to have the upper hand in the third quarter, but couldn’t convert their chances, kicking 1.5 compared to the Blues 2 straight goals and at three quarter time they were only in front by 8 points. Port Adelaide got out to a 16 point lead in the last quarter before Sturt worked their way back into the game, taking the lead late in the final term and then when Tumby Bay hero Roger Dunn goaled, the victory was sealed for the Blues. The Blues holding on to run out 11 point winners and claiming back to back Premierships, Brenton Adcock was superb, while John Murphy accepted the Premiership Cup for the Double Blues in the absence of Captain John Halbert who had unfortunately suffered a broken leg during the season.

The players and Jack Oatey celebrating with the Cup after the 1967 Premiership

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *